Wednesday 18 August 2010

When advertising really works...

There's always a preconception that advertising is about the 'sell, sell, sell' and solely concerned with making money for a brand rather than concentrating on the brand itself, what it stands for, and why it's the right decision to 'buy' it's product rather than be convinced you 'need' to. If the message is true, and the outcome is beneficial, then the hard sell will never exist. You donate to a charity because you believe in what they do, not because someone told you to on the street. We don't generally like being told what to do, but love being involved in something good that we can feel a part of. There's an old Chinese proverb “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

That's why I love what
Clemenger BBDO in Melbourne did for Guide Dogs of Australia, and why I think it's one of the best ideas I've ever seen. You can't help but feel good about what they did, and want to be a part of it too. It's nice to be reminded that whatever some people may think about advertising, it's actually helping to do a lot of good in the world. You can't sell someone a good feeling, but you can give them away with everything you do.


No comments: